At CBL International we understand that choosing a study abroad programme as a parent is an important decision to make. This guide aims to provide you with what you need to know and what you and your child should expect from a CBL International study abroad programme.
A Rewarding Lifetime Experience with SIO
Studying abroad can be one of the most rewarding lifetime experiences. Summer In Oxford (SIO) offers excellent academic summer programmes to students aged 14-19 in preparation for university. Students have the opportunity to gain a new perspective of different cultures and academic study, and develop independence and self-confidence in preparing for their future.
Each student receives high-quality, structured teaching with the flexibility to choose the most beneficial and appropriate subjects. Working in small groups allows students to take responsibility for their learning by asking questions and participating in class discussions in a completely English-speaking environment. In addition to the electives chosen, students receive coaching and presentations on the university application process including, interviews, personal statements, and choosing universities and courses. This provides students with preparation and guidance when deciding on the next stage of their academic lives. Oxford and Cambridge academy is a certificate programme. Students who participate and fulfil our programme requirements will be presented with a certificate of attendance during the celebratory farewell ceremony. CBL International’s partnership with WorldStrides, also means that by submitting assessment items, delegates will also be presented with an academic transcript worth 1 US high school credit. College credit may also be available through one of WorldStrides’ university partners.
What can my child study?
In addition to the university application process included on every programme, students have the opportunity to select from a choice of academies at Oxford and Cambridge. For detailed course descriptions please visit our courses page.
- Business & Management Academy
- International Relations & Organisations Academy
- Medicine Academy
- History Academy
A British Experience
The UK offers a wealth of culture and history for students to immerse themselves in. We can guarantee that your child will participate in three guided day trips to visit top attractions and historical landmarks as well as other cultural activities in order to enhance their knowledge of the UK. Whether it’s admiring the ‘dreaming spires of Oxford’ from a river punt of stepping back in time with knights at Warwick Castle, there is something for everyone to enjoy and appreciate. Previous excursions have included Bath, Blenheim Palace, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Stonehenge. Students will also spend a day in London and experience many of the sights the capital has to offer. Big Ben, Westminster, Buckingham Palace, and Tower Bridge are just some of the fantastic photo opportunities.
- Students will have the opportunity to stay in college accommodation of the prestigious University of Oxford (UK) for the entire duration of the SIO programmes. Students will be accommodated in double rooms within college dormitories. All rooms are within walking distance to the teaching rooms and dining halls.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all inclusive on a daily basis.
- Laundry facilities are available for students on the college premises (charges may apply).
The SIO tuition fee includes:
- Lectures & seminars including materials & hand-outs
- Workshops on the university application process and transferable skills
- Certificate of attendance and achievement
- Academic transcript (issued by Worldstrides)
- 1 high school credit
- Accommodation in a double room in a University of Cambridge college (UK)
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the College Dining Hall
- Internet connection (subject to availability)
- Three excursions per 2-week session to various British cities
- Leisure activities
- Academic evening talks
- Welcome reception
- Formal farewell dinner in a traditional college dining hall
Please visit our Tuition & Fees page for fees, scholarships, and discounts.
Safety and supervision
CBL International takes its students’ health and safety very seriously. Therefore we have the following measures and procedures in place:
- SIO programmes take place in secure locations on supervised premises and the college has 24-hour porters for any emergencies. We have been working with our Oxford and Cambridge partners for many years and have strong, established relationships with them.
- Students are required to have International Health Insurance by law of the countries. Students have to secure such coverage for any accidents, injuries or illness during the programme period. A copy of the respective insurance policy must be provided to CBL International upon request.
- Before launching any programmes, CBL International follows the latest news closely and remains updated of the programme location to ensure it is safe to go. More information about safety is available on our website.
- In the UK, CBL International runs its programmes through our partner, CBL International Oxbridge Programmes Ltd.
- Parents can reach students by phone or email directly. If parents are unable to get in touch with students or raise concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone for any emergency at: (+44) 1865 236580 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CBL International programmes have several measures to ensure your security such as on site orientation, 24/7 emergency contacts, in-depth handbook with hotlines and locations in case of emergencies
- If you wish to learn more or have concerns relating to safety and health issues, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone at: (+44) 1865 236580 or by email at: email@example.com
Mobile phone? Games console? Favourite pair of shoes? Everyone has his or her favourite belongings. Below is a short list of our recommended essential items:
- Visa (if necessary- it is the student’s responsibility to enquire as to whether they need a visa to travel to the UK.)
- Passport- in order to enter the UK, students will need to produce a valid passport or identity card at immigration. Please check the UK Border Agency website for information about what you will need to enter the UK.
- Money- Students may wish to purchase souvenirs and gifts for their friends or family back home, as well as some snacks outside of mealtimes, therefore they will need British Pounds.
- Clothing- the programme requires mostly casual attire, however for formal dinners and certificate ceremonies, formal dress will be more appropriate.
- Medication -if a student has any medical condition which requires daily treatment, please ensure they carry their medicine at all times.
- Cell phone- in order to keep in touch with you and CBL International staff in an emergency
- Camera – to capture all their amazing memories.
- Adaptor for electronic devices (240 volt – 3 pin plug) – to keep electronic items powered and charged.
General Packing Recommendations
- Bring sturdy, soft-sided luggage, which is easier to stow during the program.
- Travel light! Our experience tells us that the lighter you pack, the happier you will be.
- Keep in mind that we will be in both indoor and outdoor settings making it important to dress in layers.
- Also pack a change of clothing and any essentials in your carry-on bag in the unlikely event that your luggage is delayed or lost by the airlines.
- Carry any necessities, including travel documents, money, medications, laptop, and other vital supplies, in your carry-on bag and not in your checked luggage.
- Leave expensive jewelry at home! A good rule of thumb: if you would be heartbroken to lose the item, then don’t bring it along. Find a cheap version to replace it during your travels.
- Keep cash in more than one place. Should something happen, not all will be lost.
- Check the current weather on the Weather Channel or on the Internet so that you can be prepared for any unseasonable weather at your destination.
- Check with your airline to determine which items are suitable for carry-on baggage, and which items should be packed in checked luggage. See Hand Luggage Restrictions on the UK Government website.
About CBL International
CBL International The Summer In Oxford Programme is run by our prestigious partner CBL International Oxbridge Programmes Ltd. We are very proud to announce that CBL International Oxbridge Programmes Ltd. is accredited by the British Accreditation Council.
CBL International is the leading provider of short-term study abroad programmes in the UK. We offer high school courses, university programmes, and executive conferences to tailor the needs of thousand of international students across the world each year. To learn more, visit our CBL International website.
Admission and enrolment process
Please choose one of the two following options for application process:
Post: CBL International The Summer In Oxford Programme, Oriel Square, OX1 4EW Oxford, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0) 1865 236 580
An email confirmation will be sent to your registered email account once we receive and after reviewing your application. When you receive the confirmation email, your place on the programme is secured. Additional information will be sent to you at a later time.